Here are the chamberings currently in my gun safe.
- .25-06 Remington: Man, oh man, what a sweet cartridge. Fast, flat, capable, doesn’t knock you into next week.
- .280 Remington: Still think it may be the best all-around medium big game cartridge. Why would you even own a .270?
- .30-06 Springfield: Of course.
- 6.5 Creedmoor: Could give the .280 a run for its money—especially if I can handload the heavier bullets into that short case without sacrificing too much velocity.
- .300 Winchester Magnum: When I need reach and/or power, I don’t think you can beat it.
- 7.65/.308 Lazzeroni Patriot. Ballistics on par with the .300 Weatherby but limited ammo options.
- .223 Remington: Not in an AR but an old 788 I bought off the inimitable Bob Bell, longtime editor of PA Game News and Guns & Ammo contributor. Still has his load/trajectory notes taped to stock.
- .338 Federal: A round that’s not getting much love these days, which is a damn shame.
- .22 Long Rifle. Love my rimfires.
What’s in yours?